Kuwait seeks return of Guantanamo detainees

Kuwait is in talks with the US government in a bid to secure the release of two detainees in Guantanamo Bay, a senior official said on Friday.

A Kuwaiti delegation has held official talks with US officials to discuss the release of the two remaining Kuwaiti prisoners, the Gulf state’s ambassador to Washington told news agency KUNA.

According to Sheikh Salem Abdullah Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, more meetings will be held over the coming weeks and come as a result of a directive of Kuwait’s emir to bring the detainees back to their homeland as soon as possible.

The Kuwaiti envoy said securing their release remained a “top priority” for the government, adding that Kuwait has so far received 10 prisoners from Guantanamo Bay.


In March, it was reported that five Taliban prisoners being held at Guantanamo Bay had agreed to be transferred to Qatar as part of a peace plan between the US and the Islamist political group.


Back in 2009, Kuwait officials discussed with US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton the closure of the Guantanomo Bay detention centre.